The weather here in Michigan may still be freezing, but I’m dreaming of Spring! It just has a certain freshness and feeling of renewal to it that makes me excited to revamp my wardrobe, and best of all, my beauty routine. I fell in love with the fresh, natural and feminine vibe that I was seeing and I narrowed it down to a few of my favorites that I will definitely be trying out this season! Here they are, let me know what you think and what you want to try!
1. The No-Makeup, Makeup look. This look has been spotted on many runways and while it seems simple, it requires a little bit of effort and the right products. I really love the new hybrid of foundations out right now that have a thin formula and texture but offer a perfected yet glowy look that still looks like skin. Add concealer only where you need extra coverage (such as under eyes and on blemishes) and either skip the powder or only powder the center of the face if you are oily. (Try Sephora Teint Infusion Ethereal Natural Finish Foundation for combination or oily skin $24, Maybelline Fit Me Dewy + Smooth foundation for dry skin $7.99 , and a multipurpose cream eye/cheek/lip tint like MAC Cream Color base in “Hush “ $21 to add some color and glow). The key to this look is a full, softly filled in eyebrow (see #4) and some mascara, and you’re good to go!
2. Bold Lips. Statement lips are a gorgeous spring trend, whatever color you choose to go with, make sure to go with a super saturated rich color (either bright or deep), and keep the rest of the face paired down/natural. I’m really loving intense orange reds, deep vampy berries, and bright pinks. This lip actually is great paired with #1 (No Makeup, Makeup look). (Try: Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipsticks $20, Too Faced Melted Liquified Longwear Lipstick $21)
3. (Soft) Contouring. It’s here to stay, so embrace it, my friends! Most women do not need a heavy, angular contour in my opinion, so keep it soft with a cream or powder contour that is only a few shades deeper than your skin tone. There are some great products out there that come with compatible highlighter and even a contouring brush. Use it to gently frame your face and bring out your bone structure, and blend, blend, blend! No harsh lines please. (Stila Sculpt & Shade Cream Contour Duo $40, Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze and Glow $68)
4. The Statement Brow. This has been trending for a while and it’s here to stay. Gone are the thin, severely high arched brows. The new eyebrow is a little more straight and definitely very full. A good eyebrow can make or break your whole beauty look, and a fuller eyebrow can really add structure and youth to your face. The new eyebrow is a little more straight and definitely more full than most of us are used to. Try it, you might be surprised at how a fuller brow transforms your face! (Try Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz $21, Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Duo powders $23, L’oreal Brow Stylist Plumper $8.99 )
5. Brown Eyeshadow – Brown shades for the eyes are making a huge statement for Spring, and shades of Chocolate, Taupe and Sand were seen at Robert Cavalli, Donna Karan and Paul & Joe for Spring. The most modern way to rock this trend is to wear a singular shade from the lid to the crease and softly blended. Try skipping the eyeliner with this look and doing dramatic mascara instead to frame the eye. (Try M.A.C. Powder eyeshadows in Satin Taupe, Mulch, Wedge or Soft Brown $16.)
6. Nude and Pastel Nails – Nails are clean and understated this season after the abundance of graphic nail art for the past few years. Stick with a shade close to, or a hue or two lighter than your skintone for a nude. I’m also loving pale blue or grey nail polishes in cream formulas. (Nudes: Try Tracy Reese for Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Polish in “Sheer Force” $7.99, or Essie Nail Color in Sandy Beach $8.50)
7. Braids – Braids are still a favorite option for hair this Spring. I’m loving a volumized, soft and slightly undone braid. Try a crown braid or a volumized fishtail braid this season. Start with a dry shampoo on clean hair to add volume and texture. (Batiste Dry Shampoo $8)
Happy Spring! Be sure and follow me on Instagram @jillsollarsmakeup for more beauty tips, tricks and reviews <3